I am never at a loss for things to love! Here is another passion of mine; old books. I didn't set off to collect books (and this is just a few). It all started so innocently. I would walk through antique shops and a book would catch my eye, poetry I think it started with. "Oh, I have always wanted to read that! And so affordable too!" So I then found myself with a number of old poetry books. They hymn book in the front was a sentimental find. I really love reading through it. Though I don't know much of the music, the words create such a passion for Christ!
Reading the Mitford Series by Jan Karon led me to seek out more poets and authors such as Zane Grey. The John Wayne fan in me forced me to pick up a copy of True Grit and I was thrilled to find it was word for word of the movie and a delightful read. Another favorite of mine is Through the Brazillion Wilderness by Theodore Roosevelt. The cover is gorgeous; it may get a picture day of it's own. I haven't read through all of this one, but it pleased me to find a book by our former nature loving president.
School books came along next. My MIL gave me an antique school desk and the books she collected to go with it. Well, on hearing this, my grandmother felt the need to give me HER school books and some she thinks belonged to her father as well!
I do read many of the books I collect. Especially the poetry. It is fun to look at the dates these books were printed, the care that was taken of them and sometimes the names that their former owners inscribed on the covers. I am currently reading ALONE by Admr. Byrd that I received in a trade from a farmgirl. I could just go on and on about my books! But I won't! Have a blessed day. :)
13 years ago

4 comments:
I do love books. One of my favorite things but I do not have a beautiful collection like you have. I did have a collection of old school and children books that my daughter has now. I am glad she has them, she has a love for books also. I could stay for hours in any book store, old or new, it is a weakness of mine. MB
Reading is just about my favorite thing. That's why I have several books I'm always reading at the same time.
I love old books too and wish I had your collection, very nice!
I love old books too - especially if they have beautiful colour plates in them.
Post a Comment