Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Library


The Ladies' Circulating Library was organized in 1873. The library was not moved into this building until 1910. The building pictured is the Blakeslee Building and was erected in 1826 as a home to this family.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really enjoying seeing where everyone lives and their towns. Looks like a nice old building, in good shape too!

Day4plus said...

Look at that house! How interesting. Sue is right ...we enjoy other towns. 1826---settlers weren't even out here yet. Hmmm....Marybeth

Beach Girl said...

I'm right there with you and love seeing where everyone lives. I also love the history that goes along with it.

1826.....my ancestors had been here on the island for quite some time and by that time had sold their 20 acres of land here in Buxton for $150! Now days, small lots are going for $500,000.

Vanessa

Beach Girl said...

BTW, I just went to the Inflation Calculator web site(http://www.westegg.com/inflation/)
and that $150 then would be $1943.33 now. 20 acres of land for under $2000~can you imagine!?!?

Vanessa